Search This Blog

03 March 2010

A Night in Vembar

When my tuition student told me that she had been to Vembar to her maternal grandparents' family temple during the weekend, I was engulfed with nostalgia. To me-Vembar means Fun,Frolic and Food! Also,Sun,Sea and Sand!!The nostalgia made me pull down an old scrap book of mine with a poem written by me in 1979 of good old Vembar.Here goes.....(hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it!) 
 VEMBAR


The buses merrily horn in
And with a gay din
People excitedly clamber out
Feeling very devout
Seeing their family deity
Amidst all the gaiety.

The aura of tranquility
In this little beach city
Called Vembar, a noun
Among the Coralites most renown,
Is invaded upon
Even before the crack of dawn.

There are mad scrambles
Amidst the brambles
For the best cabins
To spend in like carefree urchins
Three bright summery days
In many lovely ways.

Suddenly the temple bells
Stop pealing, like broken spells.
Serenity is temporarily regained
Making seem the previous din feigned.
The queen of the night smiles proudly,
Amidst her twinkling courtiers, majestically.

The whole camp is asleep
But I stay awake like a lighthouse beep,
Feeling conscious of the light cool breeze
Playing on me like a gentle tease.
And, romantic me hears the roars
Of the wild sea beating upon a smuggler’s oars.

In rhythm the palm trees sway
Like a lively dancing fay.
Through the thorns and palm leaves
The bright moonlight in its splendour cleaves.
And I see in clarity nature’s dearness
Even in the remoteness and wilderness.

And then most gradually
I drift into a sleep, reluctantly;
To dream about the morrow
To spend sans any sorrow-
Frolicking, sea bathing and sunbathing,
And of course, sans dout, PRAYING!!!

Though ,over the years, my interest in going to Vembar has waned, memories of the good times I had there with my family and cousins still linger, with a tinge of excitement!

Reminiscing about Vembar reminds me of the hit song of the 1970s We had joy,we had fun we had seasons in the sun"!!!

No comments: