Search This Blog

22 March 2010

Cousins

"A cousin is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost."

Cousins come in all shapes and sizes. "Cousins are different beautiful flowers in the same garden."

Twentyfive years ago on this day one such beautiful flower, my cousin Shyama, was plucked away from the garden of this world.As I recall memories of her and some of the good times we shared, I am also reminded of some of my other cousins who are no more.In memory of them I dedicate this

IN MEMORY OF MY MEMORABLE COUSINS


SHYAMA was my docile cousin.
Just when she was beginning to bloom
After reaching the peak of win,
She was plucked away, leaving us all in gloom.

If ever there was a popular cousin pair
It was PAWRNA [PRIYA] and THIAGARAJAN.
Ever smiling and generous-were gems, truly rare.
Their departure was like the setting of the sun.

I am filled with remorse
At the end of DHANUSHKODI,
With toddler DIVYA, to make the tragedy worse.
Such sorrow shouldn’t befall anybody.

A joie de vivre was PAVALAM.
A handsome groom we wanted to see
But instead, left us to feel glum;
With dreams unfulfilled and not to be.

MOHAN-the family’s chemical engineer
Was gushy about stuff like meditation.
He arrived on Xmas and departed on Tamil New Year
Leaving us in a state of desolation.

KANNAN or Kannappa as he was fondly called
Brings to mind myriads of memories.
He often had us with laughter filled.
But now, sadly, just fills us with memories.


Cousins like Shyama and Pawrna were to me "Cousins from the beginning, friends till the end!" The fragrance of these flowers still linger in my memory.

No comments: